Wednesday, October 3, 2012

1st Letter from the Brazil CTM

Hey! So I only get 30 minutes to email every week so I'll try to get in as much as I can! My P-days are on Wednesdays so that's when I'll be able to write you.

I've been having a blast so far! My companion is Elder Acosta, I have no idea where he's from though haha. Just this past Sunday, he was called to be the district leader and since I'm his companion I'm considered the assistant. I have to go to all the meetings that he has to go to which kinda stinks, but it'll be good for me. He's a wicked smart kid. He's practically been speaking fluent portugese the day he got here.

My district though is absolutely amazing! Probably one of the better ones here. We all gel super well together and the language is coming smoothly for most of them. We sing a hymn and say a prayer in portugese before every study session. We've got some crazy funny kids that like to goof around, but can still be under control at the right times.

The language is absolutely killing me right now. Everyone is excelling in it way faster than me and it's so frustrating. It's me and these two other elders that kindof stick together because we're a little behind. Yesterday, we did a 30 minute english fast which means we only speak portugese for those 30 minutes and no english at all. I was able to communicate really well which surprised me! But every time we have to teach the dummy investigators here, I choke and don't know what to say, so I start teaching in english (which is fine because we've only been here for a week). The teachers here are so awesome, but they speak very little english which can be frustrating at times because we have no idea what they're saying.

One sister told me that I wont be able to upload and send pictures in the CTM, which is kinda weird. So you guys will have to wait until I get out in the field!

The food here is great! Haven't gotten sick (yet haha). There's been beans and rice EVERY meal and I've been starting to get used to it. There's been a couple funky things, but over-all... not too shabby :)

I'll probably be writing you more so I can go into more depth about all the funny things that have been happening. I'll only be able to mail letters on P-day so be checking later in the week. I have hardly any time after the day is over to write anything, but I'll do my best!

We went to the temple this morning and it was amazing! Very beautiful! I started to tear up a little when I was sitting in the celestial room because I was thinking about you guys!

It's blown me away by how much I've learned when I've only been here a week! I can't wait to get this blue sticker off my nametag (which pretty much means "new guy") today.

The city here is crazy, but so cool at the same time! Almost every building is a different colorful color which makes it look really amazing! And there's grafitti EVERYWHERE! Most of it is really well done!

A cool little thing I've learned about the language that you can go around and share with your friends is the word "legau" (leh-gow) which means "cool". So we always go around doing the hand thing for hang-loose and saying that :)

I love you guys sooooo much and I've been thinking about you every day!!

Elder Steed